Portrait Shop Header

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The Story of My Furry Friend Dexter…


Having a five month old baby boy, I often think to myself, “You know, he really needs a friend.”  Not another sibling, but a puppy!  Every time I get this sporadic notion, my boyfriend reminds me of how we can’t exactly fit a puppy in our tiny apartment. 

I just remember being about six years old and my parents surprising us with a puppy on Christmas that year.  My brother’s and sister and I had to share him of course, but it still was the best Christmas present I can remember.  Dexter was a long- haired Golden Retriever with the playfulness of a child and a truly big heart.  He was a people person to say the least.

When I was in college, I distinctly remember receiving a phone call from my Mom that made my heart just sink into my stomach.  Dexter had a tumor in his mouth, and he was too old to be put under for surgery.  It was growing bigger everyday, but luckily, Dexter felt no pain.

After about six months Dexter passed away from the tumor, but he will always have a special place in my heart- as I’m sure everyone’s first puppy does! 

When I started working at Portrait Shoppe I was very excited to hear that our Paw-Traits contest benefits the National Canine Cancer Foundation.  Canine Cancer is becoming increasingly common so I’m glad we contribute to such an amazing cause!! 


~ Kallie
 

No comments:

Post a Comment